Monday, February 18, 2008

Slipshod

Slipshod is a word that is always on my mind. I think few hundred neurons are continuously firing away and making me see that word in my head. Whenever I open my mouth and have nothing to say, the first shape my tongue makes is one that would easily allow "slipshod" to fall of my tongue in its two sloppy pieces.

I have never thought about it very much, just as I don't think about the lights underneath the Lerner ramps until one or two panels go out and my feet seem to sink more into them, like blue molten sand instead of a solid electric blue glass panel. Slipshod. Slipshod. I don't even much care for the word, and it's evident to me that I hardly ever type it; my fingers fumble on the keys when I go to it: Slipshod.

If I had synesthesia, I would hope it would deal with being able to have visual experiences elicited by auditory language experiences. In class the other day, Brigid Finn (who just had a baby, she says) read a journal entry by someone who had the synesthesia I'm thinking of - they said that they had gone to a fast food place and had difficulty concentrating on the attendant's words because all they could see was a river of charcoal and ash pouring down out of his mouth. I imagine that scene would distract anyone.

How cool though!

S is for slippery dildo, a phrase which Mike Molina embedded in my head forever even though I am not in on the joke.

L is for Lipton tea, the generic and gross brand of tea that I usually don't mind drinking if I don't know I'm drinking it.

I is for Ishmael, the kid who got shafted.

P is for Pynchon, whose book I have not finished and whose bio (Thomas Pynchon was born in 1937. His books include...) is succinct and delightful.

S is for sea cow, as in the funny-looking animal that always seems to be getting hit by swiftly moving watercraft.

H is for hope, which is a concept I wish weren't always being torn down by my father.

O is for obese, an adjective which I really don't want to ever have to apply to myself because I think it's way too funny to apply to myself right this instant.

D is for distilleries, because I imagine I'd get a kick of seeing one one of these days.

Slipshod.

No comments: