Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I saw Toni Morrison

talk for like a million hours about something that I must not have been too interested in if my "fall asleep in my chair" count is worth anything. But there were some really good ones there tonight as well. McCullum, the Irish author, was a delight. Another lady whose name I cannot remember but who I know lived in Achebe's house and heard the literary spirits (just kidding) was also wonderful. Then, of course, the man himself. Chinua Achebe. It was awe-inspiring, seeing him up there in his wheelchair with just his three sheets of comments (compared to Morrison's book - no joke, a book!) for us to hear. His humble closing, "I won't take up any more of your time..." as if any of his audience members would not have killed to keep him up there. My favorite lines included, "The best books are the ones which speak with voices which we've been hearing our whole lives," by the Irishman. Then the literary ghosts one. And Achebe's for me: "I feel that I did not so much write this book as that this book wrote me." That's beautiful, and I really want to go read Things Fall Apart again. :)

If only it had not been scheduled for a Tuesday night... Homework woes hovered heavy over us the whole of the ceremony, as did the random outbursts from that odd gentlemen about three rows back.

Favorable news from Arcade Publishing today, and for Cathy as well! Delightful, delightful. I really must pursue Rebecca Evens to show her that I am in it to win it.

I really can't believe it - I will be living New York for the summer!

No comments: